Saturday, September 19, 2009

Great Reno Balloon Races

All Carson wanted to do was go to the Balloon Races. So, we got up early-- 3:30 to be exact. We were at the high school to get on the shuttle at 4:15. Our good friends, the Pringles, came with us, as well as my mom. This was our first time going to the Balloon Races and I wasn't sure what to expect. It was extremely early and when we saw the Glow Show, we were all a little disappointed. Why exactly did we get up that early? It was two balloons that would flash their fire in tune to music. Not that big of a hit with us. When Dawn Patrol started, it was a little more interesting. There were supposed to be 5 balloons, but 1 had technical problems, so only 4 balloons went up. It was pretty cool to see the balloons against such a dark background, but we were still a little frustrated that we had gotten up that early. By 6:00 Dawn Patrol was over, and Mass Ascension didn't start for an hour, so we broke off in groups. Derrick, Jaime and the older boys all went to walk among the balloons. They got to talk to some of the pilots and said that was pretty cool. My mom and I took Hallie and Tucker and stood in line FOREVER for some hot chocolate and donuts. We were less than impressed at this point.

However, when 100 balloons started filling up, it started to get very interesting. It was so cool to watch and fun to see the kids expressions, as well as see which balloons caught their interests. When all 100 balloons started going up at the same time, it was pretty amazing. It turned out to be a very fun morning and we are glad we went, but even more glad that it only happens once a year!


Dawn Patrol


Cole and Carson


Grammy and Hallie-- what a good sport!




Derrick and Tucker
I have to say this was one of my favorite things. It was the day after the 9/11 anniversary and it was pretty incredible to watch the flag being raised. I thought of how all of us felt the day after it happened-- shocked, but determined to move forward and not let it ruin us as a nation. In a lot of ways, I felt like our nation truly showed what we were made of in those few days following the tragedy, so it was very inspiring to me to see the flag raised and hear the national anthem sung, and have many of those feelings stirred inside of me.

This was Derrick's favorite part. I think they are old WWII fighter jets and he was in heaven!

Cole, Carson, and Chase



Jaime and her boys Cole and Chase
Tucker and his daddy








Mass Ascension beginning
































































1 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK I am pretty sure that Cody, Tatum, and I will be there next year because I freakin, I mean FREAKIN! love hot air balloons and keep telling Cody that I want to go to New Mexico for the festival but hey I would much rather go to Reno!