I sure hope so! Hallie was admitted to the hospital here in Reno today. She started throwing up about 3 o'clock yesterday. She even threw up her feeding tube! I pretty much knew by last night she needed to be admitted, but we were trying to avoid the emergency room and I didn't think my body could take another night of no sleep, waiting to be admitted, and getting settled. I took her to her pediatrician this morning and she was running a fever. We weren't there very long before they sent us back to the hospital. At least they did her iv her on the pediatric floor. Last time in the ER, we went through 3 ivs in about 8 hours! So far, so good on this one.
Hallie was dehydrated, so they have her on iv fluids. She can't eat or drink-- again. They did an x-ray which shows an ileus. Basically her intestines have stopped partially. Her lab work looks fine, so they don't think she is fighting a virus or anything. The only thing that I can think of is flying is causing this. We have only been home 24 hours after flying before she starts having problems again. I met with the pediatric surgeon here in Reno today and am hoping to be able to talk to our surgeon in Salt Lake tomorrow as well. We need to figure out what is going on because this is getting really old. Poor Tucker won't let me out of his sight, afraid that I am going to leave him again. Carson thinks it's great-- he gets to go to all sorts of friends and play all day-- what could be better?
Derrick and I are just very frustrated. It is so hard to see her suffer, to see her in pain and have to try and explain why she can't eat or drink. She's a very thirsty girl and wants to grow big, so why can't she drink? How do you even begin to explain that to her? Derrick sat with her for a few hours this afternoon while I went home and packed some stuff for tonight, then spent time with the boys. When I got back and Derrick left, she told me that the doctor had told her she could have a cherry popsicle and eat whatever she wanted. She is just determined that she is going to eat! We want so much to be able to put our family back together. We have been all together for less than 36 hours in almost 7 weeks. I just want to be able to have all of my family under the same roof for more than one night!
Hallie's nurse just came in and said that she tested positive for the rotavirus. It's an intestinal infection that typically effects kids under 2, or at least causes them to be hospitalized. In older kids, it is just typically diarrhea, but because Hallie is so weak to begin with and her intestines are so messed up, it is hitting her hard. Vomitting should stop within 2-3 days and the fever and diarrhea within 1 week. I guess we caught it really early, before it is even showing up in her blood work, which is good. At least we have a reason as to why her intestines aren't functioning well. The funny thing is that she didn't start with diarrhea until about 3 hours ago. Oh well, at least it is not an obstruction or something else equally fun.
It is very important for the next few weeks that Hallie not be exposed to anything else. I guess we won't be taking her anywhere and ask that anyone that comes to visit makes sure they and their kids are completely healthy. What may seem like just a small inconvenience to someone else could land Hallie right back into the hospital. She just really needs a chance to get her strength back.
I will talk to the doctors tomorrow but I am hoping to get to take her home soon. All they are doing is iv fluids and I can do the rest at home. I could have my nursing degree with all of the fun stuff that I know how to do! Mostly, I just want her home, where there aren't all sorts of sick people that can be passing on germs to her and where you don't have a nurse come in hourly just to check and see how you are doing!
Thank you all for your love and support. I am incredibly grateful to everyone that is pitching in and helping us out, without making us feel like a burden. I know the Lord has placed you in our lives to help us through this trying time. We are truly blessed!
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Third times the charm?
Posted by Necia at 9:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




0 comments:
Post a Comment