Sunday, January 18, 2009

But Mommy, the doctor made a mistake

What a challenge the last few days have been! It is so much easier to take food away from a baby than a 3 year old! I couldn't let her leave my side yesterday or disaster struck! She would start to walk away from me and I would ask her where she was going. The first time it was to get chips. The second time it was to get wheat thins. The third was for a cheese stick. I think she thought I wanted her to eat something healthier, so she kept giving me new suggestions. I must have told her 25 times that the doctor wanted to help her belly get better, so she said to drink lots and lots and not eat anything. She looked at me finally and told me the doctor was wrong. She really meant to say eat lots and lots and don't drink anything (which for those that know Hallie is saying a lot if she is willing to give up her milk). Later she started listing all of the foods she likes, hoping I would let her eat just one. And the real heart breaker was when she asked me how she was supposed to get big if she can't eat. Can you tell that I use that line on her a lot? Not fun to have it turned back around on me!

It was really hard because Carson was not at all sensitive to the fact that she couldn't eat and kept walking in front of her with whatever he was snacking on. I talked to him multiple times and told him that I knew he had to eat, but that he needed to stay in the kitchen, away from Hallie while eating. I finally called a friend to come and get him when I left Hallie in her room to go switch my laundry and grab something for Carson to eat. In the 2 minutes I was downstairs, she raided my bathroom, spilled hot pink nail polish all over my beige carpet, opened up my bottle of hair spray and poured it on the carpet, then took the tube of toothpaste and used it to paint her vanity table with. Then while I was trying to clean it up, she went downstairs and found a bag of wheat thins and shoved some in her mouth. Thank goodness I caught her before she really chewed them up and had a chance to swallow them.

The good news is that her belly doesn't seem to be bothering her as much, so she is now on a soft food diet until Tuesday, when we can hopefully get another x-ray and tests to see if she is all better! Today should be a little easier because of that, which will be nice considering Derrick had to work yesterday and today, so I am on my own.

0 comments: