Monday, May 31, 2010

Remembering my Grandpa...


No, I am not in Salt Lake this Memorial Day, although I am desperately wishing that I was. Derrick is there, enjoying today with my family, having a BBQ tonight with my aunts, uncles, cousins, grandma, and my immediate family. I am so sad that I am not there! What an incredible legacy my grandpa has continuing on!
I have to admit, I am struggling with my grandpa's death, more than I ever thought possible. I know part of it is because my life is not the easiest right now, but I have lost other grandparents and it was never this hard. He had an incredible bond with my kids, especially Hallie. Pop Pop could do no wrong in their eyes! Grandpa always believed in you. He had a very strong personality, but he never forced you do to anything. He just believed in you so much that you didn't want to disappoint him. Maybe that is part of why I miss him so much-- my confidence builder is gone!
Grandpa was huge on family. He provided every opportunity possible for his family to be together and create memories together. As an adult, with kids of my own, I am realizing more and more how priceless that gift was! I keep in touch with almost every single one of my cousins on that side of the family. In some cases, they were more like siblings than cousins. My grandpa and grandma owned 2 apartment complexes. As us grandchildren grew up and got married, we they became our first home to many of us. Derrick and I were talking the other night about how much family was in our ward when we first got married. At one point, there were 4 of us grandchildren living there at the same time. What a unique experience it was, as we were all establishing our adult lives.
Grandpa was the first to pull out a puzzle to work on, the first to want to play Rook or dominoes. He was always up for a game of golf, or simply a long drive (I think he purposely took the slow boat to China route often just to spend more time with us). He was a big tease as well. I remember up at his cabin at Bear Lake that he had this mask he liked to wear around and scare us with. He would come around the corner, wearing this mask and send us all running. He had me convinced when I was younger that he could remove his thumb and put it back on. He loved for us to do his hair. I've tried letting my kids do my hair and let me tell you, Grandpa was a saint for enduring it almost every Sunday night!
I could go on and on with my memories. I wish so much that I could sit at his grave today and share those memories with my children, so that his legacy will go on! I will have to content myself that we will be there for his birthday in July and I will take my kids then.
I love you and miss you Grandpa!

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm sorry that you are struggling with your loss Necia. I wish you were here too! He sounds like a great man, and fortunately, through family like you, his legacy will live on. Keep him close to your heart and his spirit will always move you to do the right things. Love you and miss you.

Ange said...

I remember you talking about him when we were kids. I'm sorry to hear he's gone.